|Parent company||General Motors|
|Also called||Daewoo Winstorm|
|Assembly||Bupyong, South Korea|
Ramos Arizpe, Mexico
|Class||Mid-size crossover SUV|
|Body style(s)||5-door SUV|
|Platform||FF/F4 GM Theta platform|
|Engine(s)||2.0 L RA 420 I4 (turbodiesel)|
2.4 L D-TEC I4
3.2 L Alloytec V6
|Wheelbase||2707 mm (106.6 in)|
|Length||4637 mm (182.6 in)|
|Width||1849 mm (72.8 in)|
|Height||1720 mm (67.7 in)|
|Curb weight||5-seater: 1770 kg (3902 lb)|
7-seater: 1805 kg (3979 lb)
The Chevrolet Captiva is a crossover SUV developed by General Motors's GM Daewoo design center in Bupyeong, South Korea. The Winstorm, which is given the model designation C100 is based on the GM Theta platform, and is derived from the S3X concept car. The Theta platform is also used to underpin Opel Antara, the Winstorm's mechanical derivative also built by Daewoo. The Winstorm nameplate is only used within South Korea. In Europe, the Middle East, India and Southeast Asia, the Winstorm is known as the Chevrolet Captiva with the Holden Captiva name used in Australia and New Zealand.
The first generation C100, known as the CG in Holden's teminology was launched in 2006, with its styling inspired by the 2004 Chevrolet S3X concept car. Available in either five- or seven-seat configurations, the Winstorm is powered by the Australian-built Alloytec 3.2 litre V6 engine, which is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission, featuring Active Select. This engine is also shared by the Winstorm's Opel Antara derivative which utilises a different design, but shares the same underpinnings and powertrain components. A four-cylinder RA 420 SOHC turbodiesel engine, co-developed with VM Motori was later introduced into the range.
Standard safety features include: anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control (ESC), front seatbelt pre-tensioners and force limiters, and driver and front passenger airbags. Side curtain airbags are standard on higher luxury level variants in some markets. In crash safety tests conducted by Euro NCAP, the Winstorm was given a four out of five start crash rating. The results from the test were helped by the use of high-strength steel used in the body shell which was designed to spread crash forces over distinct load channels, therefore ensuring the safety of the occupants within the safety cell. The vehicle's optional active all-wheel drive system is fully incorporated with the ESC and anti-lock braking systems, consequently increasing car handling and control. When the driving conditions determine the need for improved traction, the vehicle’s all-wheel drive system instigates. In ordinary driving situations, only the vehicle's front wheels are employed.
|1991 cc RA 420 SOHC I4 (turbodiesel)||110 kW (148 hp)||320 N·m (236 lb·ft)||5-speed manual/automatic|
|2405 cc D-TEC I4||100 kW (134 hp)||220 N·m (162 lb·ft)||5-speed manual|
|3195 cc Alloytec V6||169 kW (227 hp)||297 N·m (219 lb·ft)||5-speed automatic|
- Stevens, Samantha (2006-10-10). "Holden Captiva: imported SUV". The Sunday Telegraph. News Limited. http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/research/story/holden_captiva_imported_suv/. Retrieved on 2008-01-22.
- "Daewoo (GM) Winstorm". Global Auto Index. Global Auto Systems Europe Kft. http://www.globalautoindex.com/bodies.plt?no=4593. Retrieved on 2007-07-19.
- "2006 Holden Captiva". Red Book. http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/specs.php?id=66224. Retrieved on 2008-01-29.
- "2006 Chevrolet Captiva". Paul Tan. 2005-11-25. http://paultan.org/archives/2005/11/25/chevrolet-captiva/. Retrieved on 2008-01-29.
- Ponchard, Nathan (November 2006). "At last, Holden finds a Seoul mate". Wheels magazine (ACP Magazines): 106–112. http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/wheels/site/articleIDs/5AF5DC88746CD7A0CA25725900163A60?open&template=domWheels. Retrieved on 24 May 2007.
- "Holden to offer four models in all-new Captiva range". GM Holden. 2006-09-07. http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/news?categoryID=5&articleID=1501&navCategoryId=all. Retrieved on 2007-05-21.
- "Captiva diesel delivers performance and economy". GM Holden. 2007-02-28. http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/news?categoryID=5&articleID=1537&navCategoryId=all. Retrieved on 2007-05-21.
- "Chevrolet Captiva". Yahoo!. 2007-07-19. http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/chevrolet-captiva-1004953.html. Retrieved on 2008-01-29.
- "Chevrolet Captiva". Euro NCAP. http://www.euroncap.com/tests/chevrolet_captiva_2007/278.aspx. Retrieved on 2008-01-29.
- "Holden Captiva SUV". CarAdvice.com.au. 2006-10-06. http://www.caradvice.com.au/947/holden-captiva-suv/. Retrieved on 2007-05-21.